Issue - meetings
Building Control - Proposal for Future Service Delivery
Meeting: 10/11/2020 - Cabinet (Item 48)
Report of the Strategic Director of Place
Presented by the Planning and Infrastructure Portfolio Holder
- Enc. 1 for Building Control - Proposal for Future Service Delivery, item 48 PDF 188 KB
- Enc. 2 for Building Control - Proposal for Future Service Delivery, item 48 PDF 176 KB
- Addendum to Building Control - Proposals for Future Service Delivery, item 48 PDF 194 KB
Councillor R Ashman presented the report to Cabinet alongside the addendum circulated to Cabinet in advance of the meeting. These set out the proposal to transfer delivery of the Council’s Building Control function to Charnwood Borough Council, as a new and collaborative way to deliver a high quality service whilst responding to staffing pressures and competition from Approved Inspectors in the private sector.
It was noted that in the addendum to the report, reference had been made to ‘jobs in the system’ dating back over the last three years, when this should in fact be from the last five years.
Members were supportive of the proposal as a pragmatic and forward-thinking way to deliver statutory services.
It was moved by Councillor R Ashman, seconded by Councillor N Rushton and
RESOLVED THAT CABINET:
Note the work which has been done on the Building Control project
with Charnwood Borough Council to date and the comments from the
Community Scrutiny Committee on 28 October 2020.
Agrees that the delivery of the Building Control function be
transferred to Charnwood Borough Council.
3) Agrees that, under section 101 of the Local Government Act 1972, sections 19 and 9ea of the Local Government Act 2000 and regulation 5(2)(a) of the Local Authorities (arrangements for the discharge of functions) (England) Regulations 2012 that delegated authority be granted to Charnwood Borough Council to deliver Building Control services on behalf of North West Leicestershire District Council and in accordance with the terms of a delegation agreement which is to be agreed by both authorities.
4) Grants delegated authority to the Strategic Director of Place to negotiate and finalise the terms of delegation agreement with Charnwood Borough Council.
5) Notes that the Head of Paid Service has, in accordance with powers vested in her at paragraph 4.1.1 (a)of the scheme of delegation within the Constitution and subject to Cabinet approval of the delegation of the function, made a decision to transfer staff to Charnwood Borough Council in accordance with the provisions of the transfer of undertakings (protection of employment) (TUPE) regulations.
6) Approves the transfer from reserves to cover the projected deficit on the fee earning account for the period April 2020 – 3 January 2021.
7) Delegates approval for any additional payment to Charnwood Borough Council for “jobs in the system”, identified by the Building Control Management Board, to the Strategic Director of Place in consultation with the Planning and Infrastructure Portfolio Holder to be met from reserves for the 2020/21 financial year and budgeted within the general fund for future years.
Reason for decision: To seek Cabinet approval for the delivery of the Councils Building Control function to be transferred to Charnwood Borough Council.